Static versus Dynamic Technologies


I believe I fall somewhere between static and dynamic on this continuum.  According to Moller (2008), "The middle-of-the-road approaches allow learners to interact with the content." However, in thinking of distance education, I believe that higher levels of learning occur when using more dynamic tools.  In order for me to move towards dynamic technologies, I must first gain a deep understanding of how to use the technologies.  While I have experience in Google Apps, wikis, and Dropbox, I don't feel like my level of knowledge is enough to be able to successfully integrate them into a distance education setting.  Research shows that a teacher's experience with the technologies is more important than teaching experience (Fahy, 2008).  Therefore, as I increase my abilities with the different dynamic tools, I will become more effective as a distance education educator.

Fahy, P. (2008). Characteristics of Interactive Online Learning Media. The Theory and practice of online learning (2nd ed., pp. 305-340). Edmonton: AU Press

Moller, L. (2008). Static and dynamic technological tools. [Unpublished Paper].

Reply to LeAnn
http://leannmorris.blogspot.com/2013/02/module-5-moving-toward-dynamic_3.html?showComment=1360441368126#c6055820194136637570

Reply to Shar
http://docshar.blogspot.com/2013/02/module-5-static-versus-dynamic.html?showComment=1360441780522#c256110228732031420

7 comments :

Shar! said...

What a beautiful concept map! And kudos to the redesign of your blog theme as well.. though I do miss the gardening theme.

I find it interesting that you put discussion boards as static technology but yet list Google groups as dynamic. What's the difference?

And finally, do you think that there's a place for both static and dynamic tech in DE, that some things are better as they are and accepted as a foundation for building onto collaborative knowledge?

Cheers - Shar

gibsonce said...

Hi Ivey,

It is amazing how static and dynamic technologies are so different, but similar at the same time. I personally use mostly static communications in my field of work. I make announcements and send email as a regular part of my jobs.

Which one of these technologies do you use most?

Charles Gibson

Unknown said...

Shar,

I feel that Google Groups has more to offer than a basic discussion board. I guess when I think of discussion boards, I think of the tools used in Blackboard.

However, that is a good point. Maybe they both belong towards the middle of the continuum.

Unknown said...

Charles,

I have to say that most of the technologies I use in the classroom are static. However, with all of the course work I have been completing for our degree program has moved me towards a more dynamic approach.

Martha Bless said...

Hi Shar, I agree with you that discussion boards seem much less dynamic than social networking sites like Google Plus and Google Groups. I think that is because discussion boards are enclosed within a e-learning software platforms like Blackboard and Moodle, whereas the other sites can involve more that just people who happen to be taking a class together. Also, I love your graphic--what tools did you use to create it?

Unknown said...

Martha,

I used a mixture of Word and Publisher to create my graphic. I created each of the 6 parts in Word using SmartArt. Then I transferred them as solid images to Publisher so I could arrange them without having to deal with Word's finicky alignment. Then I just played with the layers and added some extra "pizzazz"!! :)

Unknown said...

Hi Sarita,

That is the coolest concept map! I have a question about the placement of discussion boards and social networks in the static element of your map and feel it is interesting how some of us feel they are dynamic and some feel both are static forms. I have them split on my map with social networks being on the dynamic side. I assume it is pretty much how we use them and currently, I will admit that I am not doing all that I can with either. I did enjoy your post and feel I am pretty much near the middle of the road myself right now - leaning a bit to the right as we travel through this course.

Karen

Post a Comment